Age of Wonder/Age of Horror

In these binary years
I suppose the greatest thing
You could say about someone 
Is that you don’t know
Where they stand;
You might think you do
But you could be wrong.

And so this is a note
In praise
Of ambiguity.

***

Alas,
This is also
A notice
Of some personal alarm.

I have been thinking 
These past few days
Of granting my sister,
Who views me as an albatross 
Except when she doesn’t,
What she has suggested
Quite strongly 
In the past,
What she so fondly desires

Which is to make
An informal exit
From the life
Of the most important person 
In my life.

Which is to say
My niece.

***

One year ago
Yesterday
I saw her in person
For the last time.

This is pandemic time
And so time is relative
For everyone 
But I take this one personally.

Five years and six months ago
She was born.

Five years and four months ago
I spent my first week with her.

Five years and three months ago
I spent two months watching her all day.

Four years and four months ago
I began watching her for a whole year.

Three years and four months ago
That age of wonder ended.

Three years and two months ago
An age of horror began.

One year and six months ago
I had to say goodbye.

One year and one day ago
I got to say hello
And goodbye
On the same day.

And now it is today
And I wonder
If I’m not doing myself 
More harm than good
Pretending that I can keep this up
And not go mad.

She is young enough
To forget me.

She has a family,
Even a baby brother
Born last year.

She does not need me.

She may still delight
At the thought of me
Now,
Glow in effervescent seconds
During video chats.

Well.

I made a mistake this year.

I miscalculated.

I tend to do this.

Bask in an illusion
And perhaps wallow
In equal delusion,
Afterward,
When it seems to shatter.

I wrote something 
For her,
As I have every Christmas.

I sent it around
To family,
And received silence
In return.

My Christmas 
Was a silent night.

Except this one 
Was not hope.

It was
Despair.

So now
I wonder
If I should be,
As the world
Seems so intent 
To be,
Binary.
 
To switch off.

To quit trying
To balance
The wonder
And the horror.

And to let
My niece
Live her life
Without me.

***

The fraught ambiguity
Remains
That in the great span of years to come,
This might not matter.

She might not forget me.

She might
And she might not.

Or,
When she is older
She might rediscover me.

Or, as anyone who
Watches a child grow
Must do,
Glimpse her works
From a distance
And be content 
With that.

***

I am not the first one
And I will not be the last,
To be asked,
Or worse yet,
To ask myself 
To leave a child’s life
Early.

Alas.

Were that the world
Did not accept such cruelty.

Such is life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty Years

The Rat Was In the White House

All My Favorite Colors