Bruce Snead

That’s the name 
To be found
On social media;
Not Bruce Lee,
Not Bruce Leon,
But Bruce Snead,
And perhaps this one’s 
The real one,
And, well, 
All I really have to tell you
Is even if I barely knew you,
I’m glad I knew you,
A man in the time 
I learned many things,
Who symbolized
Many things,
But a man,
All the same,
A man like any other,
In a strange collection of friends,
And in the end,
That’s who you were,
And I’m sorry it took me so long
To think of you that way.

That is the shame
I now correct,
Not that I saw you 
As the pimp,
As the token,
Or even that I didn’t even see you
As the dancer,
But that for so long
I saw you as the victim,
And yet there you were
And there you are,
A man among men,
A friend among friends,
And I never allowed you 
To be merely that,
And I didn’t see it that way
Until now,
And this original sin
Now acknowledged
Rests lighter on my soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty Years

The Rat Was In the White House

All My Favorite Colors