Champeen of the World

Growing up,
I was in an interesting spot.
Everyone had godfathers,
But only one of them
Was a bona fide rock star.

And he was mine.

There was no better news
Than hearing he would be visiting 
Or that we would head over
To New Jersey (which, for that reason,
Never acquired that negative connotation 
That others have for it),
Right across from the City of Brotherly Love.

It was, in fact,
My godfather
And his relationship 
With my mother
That did so much
To encourage 
The enduring bond
I share 
With my sister.

And his family
And my family
Mesh so well together
In general.

Growing up with that, 
Regardless of anything else,
I always felt that something 
Was going right.

Family is family
But no more, in my experience,
Than his and mine.

The guru of gadgets,
The maharaja of machines,
The caretaker of cars everywhere,
The biggest personality in any room,
The legitimate king of thumb wars...

So he’s now and forever
Champeen of the world.

And somewhere 
He’s suddenly thinking
Of “Louie Louie,”
Because that’s who he is,
The uncle who will always remember,
And will long endure in memory.

And hopefully,
In the rest of the world,
Many more years to come.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rat Was In the White House

Emotional Lies